Green mold on firewood
We have some wood stored in our shed at the cottage....it was cut and piled in there about 2 years ago. Just noticed at the end of last summer that it has a very fine, greenish film of mould on every piece. Is this dangerous to burn in an airtight fireplace in the cottage? Thanks for your time.
Mold is unfortunately a reality when burning firewood. Although I am not a mold expert, I can tell you that mold spores travel through the air. Therefore, burning wood with mold in a fireplace is not any more dangerous than walking around your firewood pile as the mold spores are in the air anyway. If you want to be extra careful, I suggest contacting your local government center that deals with disease control and ask their opinion. They should be able to give you a better idea about what you are dealing with. Hope this helps!